Thursday, March 1, 2012

Courageously, anonymous.

Emotions run up and down my zipper as I let my fingers transfer my discomfort into the jacket that's supposed to keep me warm.
I shiver.
As I press the end button the line dies, along with what you and I had,
If we had anything.
I like to pretend we did.
I hop on my train of thought. Glancing out the window, thinking of the memories we've shared.
The train moves along, gaining distance. Each chug pulling us, desperate passengers farther. Farther away from home...reality....truth.
Exactly like what you did to me.
Our friendship started beautifully.
You let me sit first class.
First class on your train. Well, your train of thought, you trained me to love.
We laughed and danced with the others, sometimes laughing at the others.
You made me feel special.
He made me feel special.
They made me feel special.
He looked my way once, maybe twice before his greedy hand slid into yours. Leaving me, on this train. This train of thought filled with nothing but strangers in pretty clothes.
But I knew you, or at least I thought I did, so I waited. Waited for you to introduce me as a friend, take me by the hand, and teach me your ways. Putting pretty pearls around my neck, so I too, could be first class material.
Over time my thoughts led me elsewhere. My disappointment molded itself...it molded me.
I found myself in a cozy, confided boxcar, with nothing but
a book
a boy with curly hair serenaded by James Mercer and
a pair of boots.
My train is blooming. My thoughts bouncing off each wall, coloring my brain with ideas only R2-D2 can understand. (Sorry Mr. Wonka, you were close...I hope we can still be friends.)
My train and I are happy.
And now here you come. Your pearls replaced with a new, uncaring lifestyle; iPod in hand.
I barricade the door.
I can't lose this too.
But you're too pretty and I can't hold you back.
Go ahead.
Take my fucking interests, dreams, and desires.
I zip up my emotions for the last time, permanently leaving them in my jacket.
I give you my train of thought.
Please just let me off here,
R2-D2 and I have decided to take a taxi.

7 comments:

  1. where did you find that photo?

    and this was incredible.

    "surronded by strangers in pretty clothes"

    you had so many good lines,
    including your first, and your last,
    i like the R2-D2 part. i don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thank you, really. The photo is one of mine, just combining 2 images. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. I really like the line about emotions running up and down with your zipper and transfering into the jacket thats supposed to keep you warm.
    Whatever just happened with that post you killed it! But I have one question... Why would you willingly get on a train where you have no say in where its headed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As for the question, as long as it's my train of thought, I don't care where it's headed...if that makes sense? I think.

      Delete
  3. There were so many lines in this that I loved, but "This train of thought filled with nothing but strangers in pretty clothes." And "coloring my brain with ideas only R2-D2 can understand. (Sorry Mr. Wonka, you were close...I hope we can still be friends.)" were my favorites. Absolutly in love with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blend of heartbreak and humor. I like that I can take this literally (the train and the jacket and the characters) and I can take this metaphorically.

    ReplyDelete